Welcome to the Media & Technology Department
Harnett County Schools 2012 - 2014 Educational Technology Plan
...to consistently provide effective, efficient, and innovative instructional and technical services to all Harnett County Schools staff and students.
- Enable every HCS teacher to consistently deliver technology-infused, innovative instruction that will prepare our students for success in the 21st century.
- Enable every HCS student to consistently access and use technology to foster and support their individual learning styles.
- Enable every HCS administrator to consistently provide technology-infused, innovative leadership.
- Every HCS staff member and student will have access to a portable, web-enabled device by the end of the 2015-2016 school year.
- Effective staff development will be consistently delivered at the point and time of need.
- Hardware and software issues will be addressed in a timely manner - on or before the technician's next regularly scheduled visit.
- Communication with school-based personnel will be timely and effective. Whenever possible, responses to email and voice mail will occur within one business day.
- Every HCS student and staff member will have access to media centers that are rich in content and supportive of all curricula.
- Every HCS staff member will receive support in the use of student information management systems.
- Every HCS student will be provided educational services that allow them to experience learning success.
- Innovative methods of improving instruction and productivity will be deployed.
- Collaboration among all constituents will be fostered.
Our Core Values
- Maintain service-oriented attitude
- Treat all people with dignity and respect
- Encourage innovative thinking
- Exhibit professionalism and responsibility
- Maintain high ethical standards
- Function as a cohesive unit
- Realize the sum of our parts is greater than any individual
- Protect students from inappropriate content
- Protect and effectively manage student and staff data
- Over 10,00 computers available for students and staff; ratio of 1 computer for every 2.07 students
- Every school has at least one instructional computer lab.
- Every classroom has at least one desktop computer available for student use.
- Every school has fast access to the Internet (100 Mbps - Fiber Ethernet).
- Over 850 interactive whiteboards are in use across the district, as are over 650 document cameras and over 1,150 data projectors.
- Certified media coordinators, some of whom hold National Board Certification, are in all schools with the exception of Star Academy.
- Technology facilitators are in all schools with the exception of Star Academy.
- Eight technicians, almost all of whom hold at least one industry-level technology certification, serve the 27 schools and the central office.
- One Chief Technology Officer, two Technology Coordinators, one SIMS/NCWise Coordinator, one SIMS/NCWISE Support Specialist, one Fixed Asset Coordinator and one Network Administrator (Certified Netware Engineer) work throughout the schools.
- Policies/guidelines have been developed for media and technology including Student Acceptable Use Policy for Internet, Staff Acceptable Use Policy for Internet, Selection and Reconsideration of Materials Policy, Web Page Guidelines, Technology Gift Guidelines, Network Security Guidelines, Laptop Checkout Guidelines, and Disaster Recovery Guidelines.
- Technology Plan evaluated yearly by district-wide Technology Team.