3rd, 4th, & 5th Grade Parents and Students:
Congratulations! As you’ve probably heard about or noticed by now, our school was given some carts of Chromebooks in efforts to make all of our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classrooms one-to-one with students and devices as part of our county’s One-to-One Initiative. We are so excited to have these new devices for use in our classrooms! It is important, however, that we also take into consideration the responsibility each of us has to use this equipment correctly and safely. Here are some guidelines to consider as we begin using this equipment on a regular basis:
1. You may only log into your Chromebook with your @harnettstudents.org email account. Personal accounts will not be able to be used on these devices. (As a side note, it is critical that you learn your email address and password, as you will need them on a regular basis!)
2. All Chromebooks are “managed” by the county, so please be mindful of this as you use the equipment. Any inappropriate searches, websites, or messages will be flagged for review and will result in possible loss of technology privileges.
3. Chromebooks are for use here at school, and may not leave the campus with students.
4. It is your responsibility to use your equipment safely. Carry devices with two hands, and only use them on flat, stable surfaces like tables and desks.
5. Any damage to your device will be charged to the school, and we do not have a pot of money for repairs. If your device is damaged due to negligence or misuse, you may be charged for the repairs and unable to use a Chromebook until yours has been repaired.
With your help, these devices can be an amazing addition to our classrooms. We are thrilled to offer you the opportunity to use them, but it is important that you recognize that opportunity as a privilege and not a right. If you do not abide by the guidelines listed above, that privilege may be revoked, and you will miss out on some great projects and learning opportunities that your teachers will be designing for you.
I look forward to seeing what great things you’ll create and learn this year with this new technology. If you have any questions or concerns about using these devices, please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will be glad to answer your questions. Thanks for your help with making sure that our equipment is cared for and kept in good condition!
Instructional Technology Facilitator
Lillington-Shawtown Elementary School
In addition to receiving a copy of this letter at the start of the school year, each 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade student will also have a short form to sign and return indicating that they have read and understand the contents of the above letter and the basic components of our Technology Acceptable Use Policy, which will be reviewed both in their classrooms and in the lab during their technology enhancement classes.