Phone: 919-499-4912 EXT. 245
Degrees and Certifications:
Ms. Tenise Tillman, School Counselor
Hello Eaglet Family during this time there is no doubt that everyone's lives are turned upside down due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Families are expereincing changes in their everyday routine with school, work and social distancing and this can be hard to navigate through. Please visit my google classroom page for resources that can be used during this pandemic.
Counselors Corner Webpage: https://sites.google.com/a/harnett.k12.nc.us/counselor-s-corner/home
Your school counselor is here to help!
School counselors meet with students when…
Parents make a request.
Students make a request.
Teachers/staff members make a request.
A student is visibly upset, angry etc.
School counselors are here for parents!
We will work with parents/ guardians to:
- Provide support when seeking help
- Provide information regarding available community resources
- Share information about their child within the boundaries of the counselor’s professional ethics
- Review student academic performance
School counselors are here for students!
We will meet with students to:
Create a plan for academic success
Help with friends
Identify strengths/explore interests
Help with Transitions
Work on behavior concerns
Learn to cope with Emotions
Cope with changes in the family
Deal with Loss
School counselors visit classrooms to teach guidance lessons on…
- Study habits and test taking strategies
- Bullying Prevention
- Goal setting
- Character traits (PBIS Lessons)
- Career development and healthy decision-making
- Handling stress and other emotions
- Dealing with peer pressure, friendship and teamwork
School counselors offer small counseling groups.
4 to 8 students meet in a group to talk, share feelings and learn coping strategies when they are dealing with a similar concern such as divorced parents, loss of a loved one or social/emotional concerns. **Students will only participate in groups if written parent/guardian permission is received.**
A student and family’s privacy is very important. All information shared with
a school counselor will remain confidential
(1) a student shares a plan to harm him or herself or someone else
(2) there is suspicion a student may be a victim of abuse or neglect
In these situations, we are
required by law to report this
information to parents and/or
to appropriate agencies.
Counselors may share information with teachers/staff on a need to know basis with student or parent permission.