Phone: 9108978121 EXT: 2217
Degrees and Certifications:
BS English Education BA English English 9-12 Educator's License
Hello students and parents,
My name is Ms. Barker and I will be teaching English I this semester. I have a Bachelor of Science in English Education and a Bachelor of Arts in English from East Carolina University. I am excited to be working with you all during this crazy semester!
Class Overview: Honors English I is a general introduction to English language arts, and the focus of this class will be on improving skills in reading, writing, speaking & listening, and language skills. There will be rigorous readings and discussions, multiple writing assignments of various length, and presentations.
Assignments will consist of the following:
- Learning Activities (25%)
- Bellringers, Readings & Annotations, Discussion & Critical Thinking Questions
- Independent Practice (35%)
- Homework (Vocabulary, Preview/Review of Material, ACT Practice), Quizzes, Papers
- Unit Assessments (40%)
Your grade will be determined by the effort YOU put forth. YOU earn your grade; I do not give you a grade. Please remember this!
Required Materials: A lot of work will be done via Google Classroom. Therefore, you need to bring your charged chromebook to class everyday. I also encourage you to bring paper and pencil everyday for notes. Due to COVID-19, we cannot use the pencil sharpener in class, so either bring your own or bring extra pencils.
- Device such as a chromebook or laptop (Make sure it is charged)
- Notebook paper
- Pencil & individual pencil sharpener
- Be respectful to everyone in the class.
- Be on time and prepared for class.
- Always try your best.
Expectations: Be present for class. If you are doing face to face instruction, this means you are in class logged into your personal device ready to start class when the bell rings and already starting on your Bell Ringer. If you are remote learning, this means you are logged into the Google Meet (will be shared in Google Classroom Calendar) and working on your Bell Ringer.
- Remote Learning: You MUST be logged in -- where I can see your face -- for the entire lecture time in order to be counted present for the day. During lecture, please mute your mic! If you have questions during lecture, please put them in the class Question Google Doc* (posted in Google Classroom per lesson). During independent work, I will address your questions (if a classmate was unable to answer your question).
- *For each lesson, we will have the Question Google Doc opened. Please note this is NOT a group chat to discuss whatever you want. This is to ask questions about the material/vocabulary. When you see a classmate has a question, please answer it if you know the answer. If you are not asking a question or you are not answering a question, please do not write on this document. If you are face to face, you may raise your hand and ask your question in class. If you are uncomfortable asking your question aloud, please feel free to use the Question Google Doc.
- Do NOT use phones during class.
- During class, it is expected of you to take notes. You may use the outline in Google Classroom (posted for each lesson) OR you may take notes by hand (you must bring your own paper, pencil, and pencil sharpener).
- Complete your homework. This will consist of vocabulary assignments/studying vocabulary & classwork from the week. You will have a vocabulary quiz every Monday. Be prepared!
Absent Work: If you are absent, it is your responsibility to get the work that you missed. I will not remind you. You have 5 days after the day you return to make up any work that you missed.
Late Work: I take 10 points off your grade everyday that your work is late. I will not accept it after 5 days. (For example, if something was due on Monday and you did not turn it in until Wednesday, the highest grade you can receive is an 80.)